Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Book Review: The Kite Runner

The Kite RunnerThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is most likely the saddest book I've ever read. There are only tiny, fleeting moments of happiness that are quickly followed with depression. At times, it seemed like the book was just one terrible thing happening after another, and there wasn't enough joy to keep me from falling down a slide of slippery sadness. That being said, it is still an incredible story, and it is a sharp slap in my optimistic face that not every tale has the picture-perfect happy ending.

I actually listened to this novel as an audio-book, which is usually difficult for me since I am a very visual learner. However, this story is so smooth, it wasn't hard for me to follow along. But what was hard for me was that I was not able to quickly skim over disturbing details - I had to hear every. single. word. And, to warn you, violence, bad language, and sexual abuse abounds - most of that being the pivotal point of the whole story.

For the most part, this novel is extremely intense. I have to give it 4 stars because I did find myself a tad bored during a few stretches.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment