Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I watch you sleep.

Dear Sweet Jonathan,
You are holding on to the last grips of life,
Your tiny body fighting against pain, swelling, sickness, and medication.
I watch you sleep -
Your eyes swollen shut, your bruised hands,
tubes weaving in and out,
and still I see that belly rise and fall, each breath a glimmer of hope.
But the truth is, Baby J,
YOU are hope.
YOU are love.
YOU are a pure soul, a quiet angel
swooping down from heaven to make us all catch our own breaths,
gasp at your presence,
your beauty
your life-lessons.

Make us stop in our tracks, gripping the hands of our loved ones,
begging us to behold one another.
You have brought us close,
surrounding you and one another with prayer and supplications to the
Mighty One Above.

You reminded me of what a true fast consists of,
something I had long forgotten.
You reminded me how to pray with every ounce of my heart,
a swift lesson I will not soon forsake again.
You reminded me of the importance of scriptures and the presence of the Holy Ghost.
You reminded me to stay close to my family -
for they truly are forever.
You reminded me that if I love being Aunty Meghan this much,
that I weep for a tiny boy
I have only met through the belly of my sister,
then I can't even fathom how much I will love being mommy.
You've done this and so much more for me and Uncle Adam,
and we are 5,000 miles away from you.
Your spirit is a special one, my dear.

Your mommy is so special, too, J.
And so is your daddy, and brother and sister.
But you already know that.
That's why you've been born into their fold.
I give you strength to carry on, to fulfill your mission:
whether it be in this life, or the next.

I watch you sleep.
And I whisper to you,
"You are loved, child."



*Baby Jonathan has been blessed and given a name, and was able to officially meet his older brother and sister for the first time last night. He is no longer responding to stimulation, and is severely brain damaged at this point. Noe says, "No matter what happens Jonathan has already done a great work in bringing our family and many others closer to each other and God. We are proud of him and all he has been able to accomplish. We have been so blessed with all of your love, support and prayers during this time of need. Please continue to keep Jonathan and our family in your thoughts and prayers."

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful and oh so real. Thank you Meghan. Glad you are a daughter of mine. I'm grateful to be part of your family. Thank you Jonathan Kunoa for teaching us all so much in so short a time. Mahalo. Grandpa Harrison

    ReplyDelete