Monday, June 6, 2011

Camping with the ticks.

So this is a week late.


But we did celebrate Memorial Day Weekend.


We went camping.



Our cozy tent with the 3 of us.

We played Phase 10.
And made up our own phases :)


Tin foil dinners.




This was Kaleo's FIRST time swimming. We had to teach him the doggie paddle by waddling along with him, holding onto his belly. So funny...




aaaand.....
Since Adam lived in Hawaii all his life, he never had to deal with snakes or snow...or TICKS
Well, Maryland's ticks sure gave him a waaaarm welcome on our trip.
When we went to the bathroom before bed, I warned him to look himself over for ticks.
He came back to the tent and said he had plucked off two biggies from his jungle stomach hair.
I said, "That's it? Only two? Well, you better let me check you over again...."

He lifted up his right arm and lo and behold! Another tick hiding in the jungle of armpit hair! But this one was actually....you know, like...in-bedded in him. So I'm freaking out cuz the tick ain't moving and Adam's freaking out cuz he didn't know ticks sucked blood.
"Of course they suck your blood! How else do you think they give you lyme disease??"
"LYME DISEASE?! Get it out! Get it out! Let me do it! Hurry! That stuff can KILL you!"
And now I'm laughing so hard I can't do a thing -- all the while the tick is still sucking and still passing over a disease to my husband and all I can do is laugh and all Adam can do is get 
ticked off (HA! Punny!) 
Finally I mustered up my courage, knowing my husband's life was in danger, and I squeezed my eyes shut realll tight, and yanked that sucker outta there, quickly flicking him out of the tent.

After all that drama, I was not happy to see another tick in Adam's OTHER armpit.
Dude. The ticks love the jungle.

Anywho, overall we picked off AT LEAST 20 ticks between the two of us and the dog.
But still, we're stoked for some more camping.
And it's crazy because when we lived in Hawaii ---
probably the easiest state in the world to go camping in because it's always warm and you can just hike 5 minutes up the mountain and bam! you gotta prime camping spot ----
well, we nevvvver went camping.
(Ok maybe once. Or twice. But we lived there for years!)
And now here we are in Maryland, with 6 different camping weekends already planned out and payed for.


Maryland, Virginia, DC, Pennsylvania, New York, State Park, National Park
We're roughing it up - ticks and all.


2 comments:

  1. GROSS about the ticks

    and I <3 that you made up your own phases. Love you big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. I started laughing out loud, esp about the jungle of arm pit hair.Yuck, ticks, I probably would have reacted the same way as Adam. Awesome photos and that last picture of the smore is making me salavate. Can we go camping together sometime? I miss you two so much.

    ReplyDelete