Sunday, June 26, 2011

Light and Love please

Jonathan Kunoa Dauphinee.

I only have one sibling - my older brother. He doesn't have any kids, so I had never been an aunt before I married Adam.
And then I discovered the joys of nieces and nephews.

And when Noelani got pregnant, it was the first pregnancy I was ever able to be a part of in such a meaningful way. She was my sister, and I watched her belly grow. We even lived with their family for 6 weeks while Noe was about 5 months along. I got to feel the baby kick --- my first time ever!
I went with her to the ultrasound where we found out -- it was a BOY! ---- my first time ever!
It was such a special experience seeing his little body on that black and white screen -
 a tiny bean of a boy sleeping soundly in the basketball that was Noe's belly.


I loved him then.
And I love him even more now.
My very first! nephew that I've witnessed from start (while...not exactly...you know what I mean) to out of the womb.

I started crying when I read JKD was just born! on our cell phone screen.

And then I read the next text:
"Now going to the NICU. Please pass the word."
and
"Please pray for Jonathan he is in critical care"

And immediately my heart was thrown in reverse. How could this be happening? He was just born. He was my new special nephew.



We soon found out Jonathan had contracted type B strep in the womb a few hours before being born. 
His respiratory system and circulatory system is failing, causing internal bleeding and swelling in both his brain and spinal fluid. This has also led to multiple seizures. The doctors do not know how long he will last, or if the swelling and bleeding will do permanent damage or not.


  We have been able to watch the little guy on a live web cam that the hospital has posted online - what a blessing it is to see him in such a desperate time. And sometimes, when the angle is just right and my internet fast enough, I can see him breathing. His little belly going up and down, and I pray it never stops.

Please. Keep this little button nosed cutie and his family in your thoughts and prayers.
 Just by reading this, you are thinking of him, and therefore sending light and love their way. Thank you.
They need all they can get. 


5 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Meghan. I hope you don't mind, i posted it on my facebook, so others will read it and pray for him too. The more prayers the better. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.s. you put it perfectly. I feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahalo Meghan. Lots of love always.
    Chris Harrison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, You have an amazing way with words. Baby Jonathan is an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, indeed, this is so well portrayed. I am posting it to my facebook page too, if I can do it. The more prayers and thoughts the better. And perhaps some friends on my page know Noelani, and are not aware of what is happening, so. . . .

    ReplyDelete