Monday, January 23, 2012

Soccer Balls

So, pretty much ever since about 13 weeks, I've felt the need to explain to people while I'm showing "so" much "already." That need to explain seemed to quadruple yesterday when the old lady at church asked me, after finding out I still had 3 1/2 more months to go, if I was expecting twins. 

"Um...nope.....just one....." I said, and then added stupidly, "I'm just a hearty eater!" while swinging my arm in front of me hick-style. Yeah. Good one.

Sometimes I say it's because I'm having a boy and they tend to sit out front while girls spread out wide. Or I'll say, "Sorry that's actually not the baby you're seeing. That's the 12 malted milk balls I just ate." 

But I think my mom just gave me the best explanation. She's been reading one of those week-by-week books so she can follow along with my pregnancy from 2100 miles away, and today I got a text from her that said, 

"Your uterus is the size of a soccer ball and the average weight gain for 25 weeks is 16-22 pounds. No wonder you're showing so much!"

Ah yes, that's what I should have said to the old lady yesterday, "Nope, not twins. It's just that my uterus is the size of a freaking soccer ball. No need to worry, missy."


Trust me, people, I am probably a lot more aware of how big I am than you are. I've already got the "turtle on its back" syndrome to deal with every time I try to get out of bed. But, the wonderful thing of it all, is that it's actually quite beautiful, this big belly of mine. The highway of blue veins weaving across my taut skin, the roundness rising from my hip bones. I kinda like it --



but more than that,

I love what it means. 

7 comments:

  1. Ah, Meghan. There are so many reasons you're awesome, and posts like this are just one of those reasons. Um, also, you're really not showing unreasonably. Hello, you're pregnant. You're allowed to look it (also, you look good-pregnant, not whale-pregnant, like some of us, ahem). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you look so good and so adorable! I was huge with Ronan; he was all the way out in front, like not even a little bit inside my torso and it was kind of fun having a belly early on to rub and touch and show off. I say flaunt it. Pregnancy is wonderful and miraculous and you're rockin' it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should say something along the lines of "He's a smart kid--big brain=big belly; weren't your kids this big? weird!" maybe not. :) sounded better in my head. I have to agree with the two very intelligent women before me: you are definitely good-pregnant. I have the squirmy feeling that when the Contors decide to make baby Jakes that I will end up whale-pregnant (to borrow the term). Enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "added stupidly, "I'm just a hearty eater!" while swinging my arm in front of me hick-style"- made me laugh out loud. love it and want to read your novel. such a good writer!! you're so beautiful as a pregnant woman!! love that you are embracing it. :) the pictures of your baby belly are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so pretty! I don't see any stretch marks either... you lucky thing. Let's talk soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your soccer ball uterus, and the baby inside of it. Oh and you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look beautiful pregnant! No matter how much your body changes all that matters is the gift inside. We love you!

    ReplyDelete