Tuesday, February 7, 2012

An End of 2nd Trimester Rant

In 3 days I will have finished my 2nd trimester. And for the past few weeks, I have been feeling a slight decline in my energy levels and quite the increase in my moodiness levels. Especially when those old ladies at church just don't know when to keep their mouths shut.

Like yesterday - I got asked again if I was carrying twins. "No. I'm not." And the lady next to her: "And you're even tall." As if THAT'S supposed to help???

"Not tall enough, I guess..." I responded sharply.

I was ok up to that point, really I was, but this next one really got to me. It's all lovey-dovey, pat-pat, "how ya doin' sweetie?" Until the dreaded question:
"So when's this baby coming?"

"May."

"May?!?! You look like you're DUE!"


My mouth literally droooooopppppeeedd in her face. Right in her face, there were my tonsils and teeth and tongue and heck, probably my stomach - but she was oblivious. "I guess I'll stop asking - you've got a LONG way to go still."
(And this is when I wish I could be like my friend Collette and tell her what I honestly think of a comment like that rather than just politely laughing when I don't find it funny at all.)

Yes. Thank you. Please DO stop asking. You and the rest of them who must have forgotten what it feels like to be pregnant because it's just been to dang long for you all.

And then I get all cranky and go deep into my thoughts and I cry for my present "woes" (yes, I realize how pathetic I sound).
I will never ever ever be the same Meghan again.
Good bye to the Meghan in college, Good bye to the Meghan I've spent the last 22 years becoming because it's alll going to change in 3 short measly little months.

Will I ever not feel tired again for the rest of my life?

I am ending a significant phase right now - everything I have ever known about what it means to be me is ending. It's the closing of an entire book of my life, not just a chapter. And, sometimes, just for a moment, it's kind of sad to realize that. And sometimes, like yesterday after church, I think to myself : "I really don't like being pregnant." NOT that I don't like or want to have this baby in me, because I know that's what it sounds like, but that pregnancy is not so fun sometimes. See the differenJce?
Gasp! Terrible, I know.
But seriously, that first trimester? Yeah, it totally sucked. And I wasn't even that sick. But it was icky. For three months straight. And then, sure, I got a perky 8 weeks in there, and boy did I enjoy them, but now I'm just back to being sore every morning I wake up - like I ran a marathon in my sleep or something! -  and getting chided by strangers who feel they know how my body should be looking right now, and being tired and lacking motivation.

And then other times I go even deeper into this emotional brain of mine, and I cry for the pains I know will come in the future:
My heart will never be the same again. It will be ripped out of my chest, torn into several different pieces, and thumb-tacked onto the forehead of each of my children. It will be stretched to its limit, and it will beat stronger with every kiss and hug and smile - but it will never go back into this body. It will always be walking around with my children, from here on out. I realize that. And sometimes I look around me when I'm in public, and I see all these people out there, just living their own lives. And I wonder how often they think of their mothers? Are they close to them? Do they miss them? Do they love them? Most likely their mothers were just like I am now -- totally in love with the little human dancing in them, reveling in each and every movement, altering their entire lives for the well-being of their baby. But I realize as I look at all these strangers - and even myself- that this baby is not mine to keep. He will not always need me the way he does now. He might even hate me during his teenage years and then I'll be replaced with a wife and that will just be life and I'll be happy for him but sometimes I already get sad thinking about it. And all I can do is cross my fingers and pray he will still kiss me when he sees me - no matter how old he or I get. 

.....I know. I know. There are women who would give anything to be in my place right now. And I know how very blessed I am to be carrying this baby, and if I could give every willing woman the desire of her heart to carry their own, too, I would. I definitely would. Because that's not even what this about. I would stay pregnant forever if it meant having this baby. Because it's a privilege and it's special --- but it's also hard. And I think I am allowed to have and share these feelings without getting bombarded with talk of ingratitude or selfishness.

And yes, I will wrap up this rant with my revelation - to end on a good note, the one that keeps me going through it all, the one that wanted me to be in this situation in the first place.

Sometimes, when it's late at night and I'm trying to wedge a pillow under my belly so it won't rip off my back in the middle of the night, and I'm still appalled at the things people think they can get away with, I feel a heavy kick in my stomach. And I stop what I'm doing and put my hand on my belly. And he kicks again - "Hey Mom, don't worry bout them fools. It's just you and me, baby. That's all that matters."
And I hear a voice in my head:
It was never about them anyway.


It never was, and it never will be, about anyone else but me, this baby boy, and the man that helped me create him. And when I stop and feel and listen for that, I always get a smile on my face and the rest of the world around me silences down to a pin drop, and I can almost hear the thundering of this baby's heartbeat tuning everything else out. And he responds to my peace with a few more nudges, letting me know he's in there --

And he's worth it.

For now, he is mine - ours - our son. And that more than makes up for any of these silly little pregnancy heartaches I get.


7 comments:

  1. this made me cry. :) (thanks for the shout out, SOOO flattered!! but it's not always a good thing, like how last week i got so mad at my father in law, i poured my cup of water in his lap and swore at him...) but if i were there with you, those ladies would get an earful.WTH do they say those things??? seriously, why can't people just be nice??? and to answer your question, i think about my mom all the time, i talk to her everyday, i still hug her and love her every time we see each other. all her kids do that for her. yours will always love you, too. thank you for posting honest fears you have. watching you go through this has really helped me feel that i could do it one day too. you are such an amazing example!!! your boy is one lucky guy to be coming into your arms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Selfish? Are you kidding? Rant away! Jake and I were actually just talking about pregnancy (no, i haven't jumped on that bandwagon, yet--but every time I read your blog, believe it or not, I feel more and more that I should start hopping to get that jump in), and we talked about how completely selfless mothers are. Because pregnancy is just the beginning, you give your body up and all the things you might have been doing (like touching your toes...or seeing them--my mom said she missed painting them) for nine months, but then--like you said--the rest of your life is theirs. So I say rant away, whether they're munchkins, teens, or adults, you can always call me up to rant (for another 3 or so years I won't be able to relate much, but I'm a pretty good listener).

    Aside from all the wonderful (and not so wonderful) baby talk, I have to tell you, you are a very talented writer. I love reading what you write, the way you use language. :) Anyway, we're sending thoughts of love (and sleep!) your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm generally a peaceful, non-violent person, but when a stranger makes my loved ones feel hurt I wanna smack 'em. You are beautiful and your baby bump doesn't change that. I miss you, I wish we could spend this time together. What you wrote was beautiful. Call me anytime. Loves ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh it's like you spoke the words of my soul! I feel just like you. I don't like being pregnant. I don't like breastfeeding. I don't like sitting and holding my crying child for hours. Does that make me a bad mother? No. I LOVE my children more then anything in the whole entire world and I will carry as many as I can and breastfeed each and every one of them as long as I can. Because I love THEM. I don't have to love what got them here. Some women have the blessing of feeling SO good during pregnancy and not being affected by the 'I am HUGE, where is MY body, when will I be me again' hormones and good for them but that is not me. And I don't feel any shame in that :) We don't always have to enjoy the journey, just the outcome :) I think you are doing amazing!! I think women who comment about being huge or looking like you're due have either 1) not had children or 2) had babies like 50 years ago so they don't remember what it's like :) Some people just need to learn when to hold their tongue. You're beautiful! I LOVE the picture of your bare belly. If I had a belly like that with my babies I would have 50 children :) I wish we lived close so I could take your birth pictures. It's going to be such a beautiful moment! Please let me know if you have any questions about labor or delivery or anything related to that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my lovely Meghan. Have I mentioned what an amazing writer you are? Because yeah. You're going to be an awesome mom....scratch that, you already ARE an awesome mom. Hugs and prayers to you and Adam and Baby Boy Harrison. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey M,

    Just wanna add my 3cents to the pie and say that I agree a lot with Jess. I don't really like the pregnancy phase one bit and my heart honestly broke when about 10 people asked me the month I was due if I was pregnant - meaning that most of them must of thought my weight just got out of control or something. But then each time I hear mummy or see my sons full blown smile I know that everything was worth it and that someday I will do it all again just so I can have one more who will call me mummy. Keep up ur beautiful spirit. It will make your child kind like you.

    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  7. reread this today. thank you so much for writing it. I get it now, and it's nice to know you aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete