Thursday, December 30, 2010

Morrie.

I met Morrie about a week ago.
I've been spending more than just Tuesdays with him, too.
I've learned a lot from Albom's book - 
it's a lot to take in in a short amount of time.
I almost wished I had read one chapter a week, gaining a lesson at the same pace as Mitch did.
It's so interesting to hear the same life lessons I've always known from a different perspective - 
nothing he says is new.
But it's still quite vibrant to hear advice from a dying man. 

Pay attention when your loved ones are speaking, as if it were the last time you might hear them.

Death scares me.
I have terrible, nightmarish day dreams sometimes when I'm driving by myself.

And I'll make myself cry, just thinking about losing anyone I care so much about.
The whole point of Albom's book - of Morrie's teachings - is to learn to be ok with death,
so we can finally learn how to live. 
I've never lost someone I was immensely close to.
I know one day that time will come.
And as much faith as I have in seeing my loved ones again, in the next life,
the pain of that waiting period - from their death until my death-
scares me tremendously. 
I suppose I can alter Morrie's teaching to my current maturity state: learn to be ok with fearing death,
if that's what motivates me to make the most of my life and those in it.


It's a great book. Like I said, nothing new was presented to me.
But it was a wonderfully tactful reminder, nonetheless.
I didn't cry.
And that was ok.

Next book: Along for the Ride, good ol' Sarah Dessen

No comments:

Post a Comment