Monday, November 16, 2009

Birthday Sunday

What a pleasant Sabbath day it was today! I was so emotional in Sacrament Meeting - the speakers were talking about eternal families, which of course I am always sensitive to. The wife quoted this thought: If we are to be with our spouse for eternity, we must act so they will want to be with us forever. I know I want to be with Adam forever, but it makes me think of some of the things I could be improving on. The husband spoke on children, and fulfilling God's first commandment to Adam and Eve. He spoke with such honesty about the love and devotion he has for his children, and what an inspiration they were to him. It was beautiful and both Adam and I were tearing up.

This evening we got to spend with good friends, good food, and good fun. It was my dear friend Katie's birthday. Her husband Nate treated us to a real fine dinner. I spent all evening yesterday making these silly little ornaments for Katie's present. It was so fun and I want to make some more for our bare Christmas tree! The angel was just made out of a toilet paper roll (haha it's clean, I promise) and here's the pattern for the 3D star.


After dinner I was able to be Adam's home teaching companion as he was unable to get ahold of his real HT companion. I enjoyed meeting the families and sharing a thought with them. Adam quoted Richard G. Scott's talk, "To Acquire Spiritual Guidance". 

"Father in Heaven knew that you would face challenges and be required to make some decisions that would be beyond your own ability to decide correctly. In His plan of happiness, He included a provision for you to receive help with such challenges and decisions during your mortal life. That assistance will come to you through the Holy Ghost as spiritual guidance. It is a power, beyond your own capability, that a loving Heavenly Father wants you to use consistently for your peace and happiness."

At this time in our lives, we have soooo so many decisions to be making. Where Adam should work once he graduates, if he should do an internship and where, when to have kids, where I should teach school, if we should stay in hawaii for all of my schooling, what we can and can't afford, loans, etc, etc, etc. There is no way we can possibly no what's best for us on our own - we have to rely on the spirit to direct us. I'm so grateful for the spirit and the peace, comfort, and guidance that it offers us all if we but seek it out.

Also, on a sidenote, President Monson is coming to Laie next weekend for our Regional Conference. Doors open to the auditorium at 8, the conference starts at 10. I'll probably get there at 7. Adam will be filming so I'll most likely sit alone. I'm excited to have our prophet on our campus and to feel of the aloha spirit here! They announced in Relief Society today that he will be visiting the homes of two families from each ward- so make sure your homes are clean! How amazing is that?? We are so blessed!

1 comment:

  1. you can sit with nate and i :).
    i'm also happy you blogged about yesterday's festivities

    love you girlie

    ReplyDelete