Thursday, November 19, 2009

Awkward Family Photo

Halfway through the week....! I am not feeling very well today - sore throat, headache, sniffly nose. I am worried I have caught the flu...I hope not.However, we all know laughter is the best medicine....

This morning in pyschology class my teacher ran a little experiment. He had just finished talking about furrowing your eyebrows, so I told myself I wasn't going to let my eyebrows crumple together during the experiment. He had us take a pencil or a pen and hold it between our teeth, about halfway back into our mouth. He said to just hold it there for five minutes, and he continued on with the lecture. At first I was like, ok, I won't furrow my eyebrows during this. However, as he kept talking, my saliva was building up (its difficult to swallow like that!) and he started sounding funnier and funnier. I would be looking at him, showing him I was paying attention to the lecture, and then all of a sudden I realized I couldn't keep a straight face while I was looking at him with this ridiculous pencil in my mouth. I started laughing hysterically, and I covered my mouth with my hand so the pencil wouldn't fall out. Tears were rolling down my face and then my spit was uncontrollable. My teacher started laughing at me which made me laugh even harder. Then he said, "That's exactly what I wanted! I have to tell my next class! You can take the pencils out of your mouths." I was so embarrassed, my face was completely drenched in my own random bodily fluids (sweat, tears, spit) and poor Adam had to sit next to me throughout this whole thing while the entire class watched as I became the spectacle of the experiment. Our teacher proceeded to tell us that by putting the pencil in our mouths, it was shaping our face into a smile. Even if you weren't consciously smiling, you were making the shape of a smile, which ultimately made everything funnier and made you happier - and I was the proof! So...the next time you are down, or maybe are teaching a bored class, try this. You're guaranteed a smile. :D

Also, one of my new favorite websites: Awkward Family Photos. It is a site full of just what it says! Here are a few of the best:





(cousin wendy)

Anyway, I've taught myself a valuable lesson today. I woke up feeling icky, yet I have found so many opporunities for laughter. Even though my stomach was cramping, I still had to laugh and let the tears roll. Even when things aren't so fun, or going a little...bleeghiosldkg.....seek out the positive. Find joy in the Journey: Enjoy the small things that make you smile.

3 comments:

  1. hahahahhhh I really want to try this experiment- it made me giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghan. I hope you feel better soon. Your Dad says hi too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Meghan, sorry you were in pain. But I really enjoyed your experience with the Pencil. I put my pen in my mouth to make me smile too! <3

    Enjoy yourself and if you haven't seen New Moon yet then I'm going to drag you with me!

    ReplyDelete