Tuesday, October 2, 2012

(Not) Sleeping Through the Night

This post has been swirling around in my brain for the past month now. Starting at about the time that (everyone else thought) my baby "should" be sleeping through the night. I honestly struggle with talking to most people about this because I feel judged that my four-month-old, 17-pound baby isn't sleeping through the night yet.

It's such a big....deal...to everyone. It seems the topic of how well he sleeps becomes the sole determining factor of how "good" my baby is or how "good" of a parent I am. It doesn't matter that he is a happy, easy-going baby who goes down for naps every two hours pretty easily and quietly, who loves meeting new people and going on adventures, who touches your face with his chubby little hands as delicately as if he were blind and could only see through his fingers. Nah, if he's not sleeping through the night, well then, something's got to change.

I got told I was "doing it wrong" when I mentioned to someone that my baby still slept in our room.
I'm fully aware, though others like to remind me, that all the books say he is capable of sleeping 6-8 hours without being fed or without interruption, but he's simply not doing it. And I can't force him too! I'm also fully aware that the AAP says it's fine to let your baby cry, but I can't handle it. I don't know if I'm doing more harm than good (not teaching him independence, whatever, blah blah blah) but it feels like I'm going against every single cell in my body when I don't come to him when he's crying.

I've read certain chapters of No-Cry Sleep Solution several times now, hoping for something new to pop up for me to try. One of the things it talks about is evaluating why it's important to you that your baby start to sleep through the night. Are you doing it for the right reasons? It also asks, "Are you really ready to give up nights with your baby? Are you really ready to do what it takes for change to happen?"

I've skimmed over that section so many times, waving it off with a giant, "Psh....Yes! Please! Give me my nights back!" Recently, however, I probed a little deeper:

"Really, Meghan? You mean that? ....Because, you know, once Axton does start sleeping through the night, that means you will only have 12 hours a day with him. And 12 hours may sound like a lot still, but that means that your time with him will be cut. In. Half. No more middle of the night reassurances that he's still alive, that he still very much relies on you, that the heat of your body and the taste of your milk is the only thing that could lull him back to sleep. No more sleepy eyes blinking back at your own, no more excuses to just let him stay in bed next to you, his head resting on your arm and your bodies cuddled against each other. You sure you want to give that up?"

And I realized that maybe.....just maybe, a small part of me wasn't ready for Axton to sleep through the night. And maybe, just maybe, that was contributing to him not doing it.

So, the next day I moved his crib to our walk-in closet (anything to make our son more like Harry Potter, yes?). Seriously, though, I felt it was a happy medium. I wasn't ready to move him to the other side of our apartment where I would need a monitor to hear him cry and a light-switch to see where I was going. But with him in the closet, we can shut the door while we are still awake, it's much darker in there, and it's a small step towards independence - for the both of us - while still keeping him close for the nighttime wakings.

I was reading a friend's blogpost today about potty-training her little girl. She said that they had tried previously to potty-train her, but that it didn't go over well. Her mother saw that she simply wasn't ready, and dropped the issue. She gave her daughter the time and patience she needed. She waited until her daughter was emotionally, physically  and mentally mature and, most importantly, until she was ready to do it. Now, a few months later, her daughter practically potty-trained herself with no fuss or trouble. There was minimal bribing, fighting, or crying. She just did it. I thought to myself, That makes sense. And if that works for potty-training, then why wouldn't it be similar to sleeping? My little guy is just simply not there yet, and I just have to be patient until he is.  (In my opinion, 4 months is still pretty young anyway, but what do I know?) For now, I can do things to encourage healthy sleep habits and provide an atmosphere at night that would be most inviting for sleep. Oh, and I can pray. Lots of praying.


If you have advice, feel free to offer it. I may or may not follow it, but I will certainly read it and appreciate your kind efforts. Also, I feel the need to say that since becoming a parent I've learned a lot about judging others - or rather, NOT judging others (particularly other parents). The love that I feel for my son? It's a big, big thing. It's an all-encompassing, tremendous, delightful thing. It's the kind of bond that could change the world. And to think that the way I love my son is the exact way someone else loves their son? Well, that's very powerful to me. So, regardless of how I parent, I don't judge you for the way you parent. Because I know that I do the things I do out of love, and I know that other parents do the things they do out of love, too. And that's all I need to know or say. Us parents, we love our kids and we're all just doing the best we can to raise them as such.


10 comments:

  1. Woot woot shout out :) I think you're doing great! Maeli slept through the night from the day she was born and Emmie didn't sleep through the night til she was 10 months old. There is nothing wrong with it. If you're not ready to let him cry it out or sleep somewhere else then it's not time yet. He will sense your sadness about either one and he won't sleep comfortably. When he is ready to be independent, and its a bittersweet thing, he'll do it on his own. I am all about crying it out though. But not too young! By 10 months of no sleep with Emmie I had had enough and was practically a zombie so I decided to do something about it. She wasn't waking comfort anymore. Simply because she felt like she had to. So we let her cry it out for one night and by the next night she was sleeping through the night. Good luck :) you are an amazing mother!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ronan started sleeping through the night at 2 months and it lasted that one semester. To this day he still doesn't sleep through the night most of the time. Every now and then we get lucky. But he is getting better and less needy when he does wake up. He also slept with us from age 8 month until we moved from TVA. His crib was right there by our bed and he hated being in it. He's been sleeping in a twin size bed in his own room for 10 months now. He's turned out just fine. Don't worry about what others say Axton "should" be doing. Every kid is different. And honestly, I hate the cry it out method. I've read plenty of articles sighting research that say its unhealthy for brain development. And I'm like you, I can't not respond to my kids when they cry. So what I'm trying I say, you are a FANTASTIC mother. Just tell all the people with their negative comments to shove it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 2 cents. I read all those books and felt like I need to do all those things the book said with my daughter but at the end of it all I could not listen to her cry. It took us literally until she was 2 &1/2 to get her to sleep in her own bed through the night. Yes it was hard and tiring but seriously once she got it, she got it! Our son was a different story. He was born to sleep and never had any problems. Kids are their own person and Axton will sleep when he is ready. Good luck and enjoy those hours because they do go so so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right there with you my dear. Jem goes maybe 5-6 hours on an AWESOME night and that is if we do rice cereal, vegetable, bath and then nursing right before she sleeps (our bedtime routine). Isn't 4 months early to be sleeping through the night?? All babies are different and I figure if you are a stay at home mom with your first little one then it's all good because really getting up in the morning isn't a necessity so if you happen to catch an early afternoon nap then it makes up for the night. Right? Jem is almost 6 months and if she starts sleeping through the night by the time is 1, I'll be happy :)We tried the "Cry it out" method for about 60 seconds. Then Rory and I were both in her room. It's your first baby, ENJOY HIM :) Your an amazing mom. Don't sweat the small stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Meghan. You've already heard most of what I have to say, but I'm sure glad you posted this! Babies are awesome whether or not they sleep through the night early on. They will in time, when they are ready--especially if we're patient with them. Having said that, I have to also point out that no one ALWAYS sleeps through the night. Including grown-ups. Point that out to people who tell you you're doing it wrong. Last time they had a cold, did they sleep all night (without using nighttime cold medicine)? Or one day they didn't eat well and felt yucky? Or just had to pee? Or ... Babies aren't superhuman, folks. They need love and patience and food and peeing too. (Yes, seriously, I'm pretty sure needing to pee has awakened my little ones a time or two.) Okay, rant over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post. I think you're doing awesome! To say that a baby "should" be doing something by a certain age is ridiculous and had always bothered me. Every adult, teenager, kid, and BABY is different, and milestones can't be pushed on little ones. Nobody knows your baby better than you! If he's not ready and you're fine with waking up to be with him then I don't think there's anything wrong! Vincent slept through the night for about a month (3mo-4mo) and then he started waking up 3 times a night again. We still had him in our room and I didn't mind waking up...but after 2 months it started to wear on me. At his 6mo appointment the doctor suggested moving him to the other room and letting him cry it out. I was weary, and SO so sad thinking about not waking up to his precious little face (I even cried the first night), but I decided to try it *just to see*. The little stinker slept through the night NO PROBLEM and didn't even miss me! I woke up around 6am to him babbling and having a good ol' time over the baby monitor and when I went in to get him he was all smiles. I guess he was ready! It's been like that ever since! He eats a LOT more during the day, and sleeps 10-12 hours every night. He wakes up occasionally and cries, but it's more of a whiney cry than a distressed cry and he quickly learned to comfort himself back to sleep. So, for us 6 months was when baby was ready. I agree that 4 is still very little! Just follow your motherly instincts and prat that Heavenly Fathers will help you know what's best for your baby :) You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been struggling with this. Olivia slept through the night at 2 months and did fairly consistently until 4 (?) months. Then she stopped. And never looked back. She still (almost 9 months over here) wakes up (and nurses) multiple times in the night. I don't want to do "cry it out", and I'm getting lots of similar "advice" as you, it sounds like. Anything I read makes me feel guilty as a parent, for letting her nurse to sleep and for nursing her at night, (forming"bad" sleep habits). I still haven't decided what to do. I AM ready for us both to get better sleep. But until I find a solution that I feel comfortable with, you know, my deep down mama instincts, I guess we'll just keep playing this game. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now, I'm not a mom, nor do I have any experience being a mother, but one time I was watching Reba (and we all know you can trust what you see on t.v.) and Reba told Cheyenne to let Elizabeth cry it out. Cheyenne said it didn't feel right, but tried it. Ultimately Reba ended up telling Cheyenne that no one knew what Elizabeth (Cheyenne's daughter) needed other than cheyenne, not even Reba. So Cheyenne went in and picked up her little girl. Like I said before, this was on tv and I'm not a mom, but I feel this is true. No one knows your kid like you do, and if letting them cry doesn't feel right, don't let him cry. I'm going to go all Disney on you here and say follow your heart....with a quick reminder that I have no idea what I'm talking about.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know Axton better than everyone and you can sense what he needs. More than that you have the spirit with you and you will know what you NEED to do. Besides that, there are a million opinions out there and they are each different. You are entitled to your own. Don't let anyone make you feel inferior or that Axton is an inferior baby for any reason. My mother-in-law used to tell me that there are "Good" or "Bad" babies. There are babies that are easy to take care of and babies that are harder to take care of.

    Emma stopped sleeping through the night, by the way. So we're trying to figure out why and how to fix it, but there is no simple recipe. Axton is a cutie and you are doing a great job. Also, I have found a happy medium with the cry-it-out-theory. I tried it too early and decided I wouldn't try it again until 6 months. So, now I hold Emma and rock her to sleep unless she doesn't want me too. Lately she cries even in my arms. So, I lay her down and let her fuss a little. Within a few minutes she's wants her paci. I put it in and she falls asleep quick (without me picking her up). Anyway, you'll figure it out.

    Also, Phil wants to add: "You are the Mom. You get to decide how to take care of YOUR baby."
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I meant to write, My mother-in-law used to tell me that there are NOT "Good" or "Bad" babies. There are babies that are easy to take care of and babies that are harder to take care of.

    ReplyDelete