Sunday, September 30, 2012

My Life As a Mormon: A Living Prophet and General Conference

I've slacked on writing My Life As a Mormon posts, but I've decided I would like to try to write one every Sunday. I honestly don't know how many people are reading my blog and how far it is being reached. I don't know if people who don't know me personally read this or not, I don't know if Mormons or atheists or Catholics or whoever read this. But I do know that I share a lot of information on here - I share hopes, dreams, fears, thoughts, opinions, experiences, memories, photos - I share my life on this blog.  I've found that because I am honest and because I am real, people feel comfortable coming to me when they have questions. And that is very important to me. That is one of my main goals in writing this blog: For people to see me for who I am - someone who is imperfect in so many ways, someone who makes mistakes, someone  you can relate to and laugh with and cry with and maybe even call a friend (whether we've met or not).

A huge part of my life stems from my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and if I didn't share that part of what makes me who I am, then I wouldn't be writing honestly. Plus, there a lot of different ideas about what Mormons believe and I'd rather people with questions find answers from Mormons than from other sources. So I want to renew my efforts in sharing this portion of my life with you, and I will start it up again by discussing our belief in a living prophet who leads our church.

Every 6 months our prophet, his 2 counselors, the 12 apostles, and other general authorities gather together at the Conference Center in Salt Lake City to give instruction to our church and also, to the world. They share revelations, guidance, counsel, life experiences, scripture, and so much more. This is called General Conference.

In one week I will gather my family around our little computer screen and we will watch General Conference together. There will be 2 two-hour sessions on Saturday and Sunday. Their words are not merely nice, feel-good sentiments or suggestions. They are, quite literally, straight from God.

Simply put, God speaks to these men, and these men speak to us. They are the Lord's mouthpiece.

(Because I am still being honest with you: After I typed those words, I asked myself if I really believed them. Do I really believe that God communicates with these men? Enough to proclaim it on my public blog for all to read? And my answer was Yes. I do believe that. Just to doubly emphasize...)

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, the second counselor in the First Presidency has commented on the vital importance of modern-day prophets:


“Because Heavenly Father loves His children, He has not left them to walk through this mortal life without direction and guidance... That is why He pleads so earnestly with us through His prophets. Just as we want what is best for our loved ones, Heavenly Father wants what is best for us. ... Our fate and the fate of our world hinge on our hearing and heeding the revealed word of God to His children.” (source)


What does this mean for me personally? Well, it means I will not only listen to my prophet's voice, but I will heed his counsel. I will seek out his word and trust it as the word of God. Because God knows me, my needs, and my concerns, I also know that if I prayerfully watch conference with a question in my heart, I will find an answer. One of the speakers will address my concern and I will receive yet another confirmation that the Lord has heard my prayers and has an answer for me. Elder Jeffry R. Holland testifies of this in the video below:



Growing up, the president and prophet of our church was Gordon B. Hinckley. I loved that man. My father, who is not a Mormon, also liked to hear from him. I remember one time I was visiting my dad over General Conference weekend. He told me, "Tell me when that Hinckley man speaks. I like listening to him." This was a testimony to me of the power of president Hinckley, and the good that everyone could recognize in him, even if they didn't believe he was a prophet.

Then, when Hinckley died, I was challenged by my seminary teacher to pray and ask God for a confirmation that the new prophet, Thomas S. Monson, was truly called of God to lead our church. I did so with an open heart, a strong desire to know, and faith that I would receive an answer. And, as a 15-year-old girl, the Lord did confirm to me that Monson was a prophet of God and that I would do well to follow his counsel. I have never forgotten that and often reflect on it when I hear him speak.

If you want to know more about our prophets and apostles, if you want to hear what kinds of things they are telling the world, what kinds of things God is telling the world - then please, watch a session or two of General Conference on October 6 & 7, beginning at 10am mountain daylight time. Or feel free to contact me.



More resources:
Prophets and Apostles
Why do we need prophets?

No comments:

Post a Comment