Monday, September 3, 2012

Doing is becoming


Now that Axton, Adam, and I are all getting pretty well settled into a routine that is normal and healthy and, for the most part, happy, I'm determined that not only can I be more than a wife and mom, but I need to be. It's your typical "I can't completely lose my identity to motherhood" syndrome. 

So I asked myself what other identities would I like to have? What kind of person do I want to be? What kinds of things do I want to spend my time doing? 

I decided on 3 things I wanted to be:

A photographer
A writer
A runner

And because in order to be these things, I must do these things, This is how I am working on photographing, writing, and running:
  • Someone asked me to take their quite-active boys' photos when I was very pregnant (and there wasn't much of a time during my pregnancy that I wasn't very pregnant). At first my answer was yes....and then I pictured myself getting low to the ground, trying to bend my awkward belly into just the right position to get the perfect shot or running behind those wild boys, waddling like a penguin and gasping for air....and I had to turn right back around and tell her no, I think I will take a maternity leave. And actually, that was quite a fun thought to me, that I could say that. Anywho, the point of this story is to tell you that, after quite a long maternity leave,     I am back in the photography business! We had to get rid of my old website we worked so hard on, but I am in the process of shifting things to a blog. Check it out here, become a follower, leave a comment! Better yet, book a session!
  • I am working on a personal essay on my journey through pregnancy and early motherhood to submit to a contest. If there was a particular post or thought that I've shared on this blog that you really enjoyed, I would totally appreciate you mentioning it and I will include it in the essay. That would mean loads to me! And maybe I will even share it on here, if I happen to be pleased with the final product.
  • I will be running in the Baltimore 5k on October 13th. It may not seem like much to you experienced runners out there, but it's quite the task for this four-month-postpartum body of mine. I needed a goal and a deadline, and this race provided both. Adam and Axton may be joining me, but that's up to Adam. I have decided that running is for me. I even stopped bringing my dog with me because he slowed me down too much and I just needed something that I did solely for me. So now I leave the dog at home and I fly. Well, you know, I feel like I do, anyway... you know, one of these syndromes:

Source



3 comments:

  1. I love those pictures so much. I couldn't resist laughing when I looked at them. Several times. And I'm so proud of you for deciding on some things to work toward. That's awesome. (And, of course, I particularly approve identity #2. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your birthing posts. They were raw, and terrifying in a way that made me want to have kids. I don't know if that makes sense, but those are the words that describe it to me...take your pictures, write your words, and race away into the sunset :) Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete