Sunday, April 1, 2012

That one time we dressed up...

So remember how I mentioned in my previous post that I bought my first maternity dress for a wedding we were going to?

Well, we dressed up and played pretty and went to that wedding. We ate a fancy meal that was served to us by people in fake tuxedo outfits and we socialized with Adam's coworkers like Adults do. And we even danced.....or, at least, we tried to. I don't know if it was the belly or the elapsed time since the last time we'd danced, but halfway through the song I looked up at Adam and said, "I think I've forgotten how to dance!" He laughed and said, "Me too!" We did this awkward parental-type-swinging of the arms and some shuffling of the feet and some bouncing of the body. I know I can still pop, lock, and drop it (in fact, it's EASIER with this belly to do it, and creates an even bigger effect, if you know what I mean), but I didn't quite feel like that was an appropriate move to be doing surrounded by the crowd I was. So we stayed for only a song or two, and laughed at our awkwardness.

Before we left for the wedding, as we were getting dressed, I saw Adam putting on a turquoise and black tie, with his black shirt and black pants. My mind instantly flashed back to the first time he wore that same outfit:

Our first dance together.

We had only been officially "boyfriend/girlfriend" for about ONE week. My best friend Robyn was visiting me from Hawaii and we had found her a date so we could all double.



I wanted to look H.O.T. so Adam could show off his new girlfriend. And guess what happened when we arrived at the dance? 

They wouldn't let me in.

My dress was too short. 

I was sooooooo embarrassed. I had no idea they would be checking the length. So Robyn and her date went into the dance without us, and Adam had to drive me back home so I could change. I was so mad (at BYUH and myself) --- Adam was wearing a matching tie for heaven's sake! What was I going to do now?

Luckily, my roommate the fashion genius, had a lace black slip that she lent to me, adding a few inches to the bottom of my dress without changing the color scheme. It was brilliant and it worked (and yes, I may have hiked it back up a bit once I was let into the dance....)



...And now, here we are, almost exactly three years later, married with a baby on the way. Who would have guessed?






3 comments:

  1. <3 this brings back so many good memories.
    I miss you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. byuh... GAH! one time i went to the gym wearing one of those modest shirts they sell at the bookstore and the girl wouldn't let me in! because the straps of my sport's bra were showing.... because sports bra straps go way high on the shoulders. this was a shirt i wore to class all the time and bought from the damn bookstore!!!!!!!!! i mean come on... and when a guy worked at the gym he would always let me in... just that one girl.. and don't you love how you can wear things with garments that weren't allowed on campus? ok, my rant is over. you two were adorable then and are still, actually probably more adorable.

    ReplyDelete