Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Book Review: The Lover's Dictionary

The Lover's DictionaryThe Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book is absolutely beautiful - one of few to literally give me goosebumps, multiple times. If you have ever been in love, had someone love you, wanted to be in love, or even just pondered the meaning of love - read this book. The writing is sweet as honey, and I kept craving more and more after each page. His words were poetry, expressing every emotion I've ever voiced out loud, kept secret to myself, or wondered if I was the only one to have felt this way - turns out, I'm not. Got an extra hour or two? Spend it on this book.

A few of my favorite entries:
cadence, n.
I have never lived anywhere but New York or New England, but there are times when I'm talking to you and I hit a Southern vowel, or a word gets caught in a Southern truncation, and I know it's because I'm swimming in your cadences, that you permeate my very language.

dispel, v.
It was the way you said, "I have something to tell you." I could feel the magic drain from the room.

libidinous, adj
I never understood why anyone would have sex on the floor. Until I was with you and I realized: you don't ever realize you're on the floor.

reservation, n.
There are times when I worry I've already lost myself. That is, that my self is so inseparable from being with you that if we were to separate, I would no longer be. I save this thought for when I feel the darkest discontent. I never mean to depend so much on someone else.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment