Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Few Firsts

Now before you go and think that motherhood is all work and no play, I've got to share some fun times!!!!


First time meeting Grandma Kauwe:

First teddy bear:



First trip to the temple:
Axton got to hang out with Grandma Kauwe while Adam and I went into the temple.


My boys! They are mine forever and I am so lucky!





First trip to Washington DC:
We went to the Library of Congress, toured the Capitol, and checked out the Archives.


 On the metro


 Touring the capitol

First Camping Trip:
We drove 2 1/2 hours west to Rocky Gap State Park. We stayed in a hot, hot, hot cabin, swam in Lake Habeeb, and enjoyed the mountains and country.






Axton got to sleep with Mommy & Daddy and it was one of his best nights so far! He only woke up once and I don't think he would have woke up at all if Adam hadn't had to get up and chase away the raccoon digging through our cooler!


The lake....I loved swimming. I have missed it so much since leaving Hawaii.




Axton's first dip in the lake - he didn't like it too much, but then again he had just woken up.








Favorite picture ever!!!

First trip to the DC Zoo:

This was the only picture we got as I, unfortunately, forgot my camera.

Baby blessing:
In our church we give our babies a blessing, typically within the first few months of life. In the prayer, Adam officially gave him his name and prayed that he would follow the example of Jesus Christ as His personal savior, and that people who knew Axton would feel the wonderful spirit he possesses. It was such as sweet blessing and I know Axton will treasure the words his father spoke. It wasn't Axton's very first blessing, as we gave him one after he had to go to the ER, but it was his first - and only - official Baby Blessing.


Tuckered out from all the loves he gets at church



In the first week of Axton's life, some of my "baby blues" (postpartum depression) stemmed from thoughts of Axton getting older. I would not only cry, but I would honestly and sincerely and intensely mourn the day ending, thinking, "He was only two days old for one day and now that day is over and I will never get it back. Tomorrow he will be three days old and it will only last one day and then it will be over and I will never get it back." I felt an intense need to fully and completely soak up each and every breath of his, every second, because I felt it would be gone too quickly and wasted if I didn't. I would feel guilty at the end of the day when I put him down to sleep because I would think, "I didn't spend enough time with him today. I didn't hold him enough." But no amount of time would have been enough during that first week and it was so emotionally draining for me. I didn't know how to not only let him grow up, but be happy to see it happening.


I've gotten much better since then, and instead of feeling sorry that he is growing up each day, I look forward and am excited to see all the changes he will make, the things he will learn, the person he will become. I feel so lucky to be Axton's mommy! It is still a crazy thought that I am anyone's mommy at this point, but we love being a family and my life is definitely richer with my son in it. 






and I think it's safe to say he has my eyes :)


3 comments:

  1. You can record baby blessings?! Jake and I always wondered if you were allowed to! He's so gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) this post is so great! love all the pictures of your cute little family. and your baby. is ADORABLE. those cheeks!!! you look great too mama! watching you do this makes me less afraid for motherhood. love you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetness. I love how in the teddy bear pic, the bear looks like he's attacking Axton. So good. :)

    ReplyDelete