Friday, June 15, 2012

4 weeks later thoughts

I didn't think it would be this difficult to write my next blog post....but I have had so many thoughts swirling around in my head and I just couldn't sort them out into a well-organized, readable, titled post. So I just didn't write at all.

My Axton turned 4 weeks old yesterday. He changes everyday. I thought it was time I throw some thoughts together.

I've been thinking a lot about motherhood and femininity, and how they seem a bit contradictory at first. Yes, of course, growing and creating and birthing and feeding a child is the ULTIMATE of womanhood because, obviously, only women can do it. And yes it's beautiful. But there are so many uglies involved in that process, too. So many things that the world wouldn't consider very feminine at all.

Pregnancy makes a woman throw up, swell up, get hairier, grow zits, have heartburn, be cranky, sweat copious amounts, and much more. And then there is the delivery - with grunting and screaming (in my case - and I know many others, so don't deny it), blood, a squishy baby, the placenta, and lots more fluids. And of course, in the weeks following delivery -- there is daily bleeding for weeks on end, the stinkiest armpits I've ever had, sticky breastmilk spewing and dripping all over the place, cheering on my son's farts and burps (though never the dog's), not enough time to shower, and bags under the eyes.

How could motherhood have so many seemingly opposing elements? Such beauty and grace on one side, and such "grossness" on the other side? I've determined that not only are women are a hell of a lot stronger than they get credit for -- and no man will ever, ever completely understand that -- but also, that all of those things must be feminine.

Because all of those things mean women are pushed to the very edge of everything they have within themselves. It means we go until we don't think we could ever go any further, and then somehow, we find this hidden reserve of strength we never knew we had, and we just push on. And I'm not just talking about labor and delivery, though that is obviously a large part of it. I'm also talking about taking care of a newborn. Somehow functioning on dinky amounts of sleep, not screaming alongside your child as he wails in your face and you don't have any clue how to help him, dealing with hormones rapidly diminishing and shifting and completely throwing off your groove.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that labor, delivery, and now parenthood, are the hardest things I have ever done in my life. Probably will ever do. And I never liked reading that on other women's blogs after they had a baby - it scared me too much and I didn't want it to be hard. I wanted it to be natural and easy --- but, aside from loving your child so much you fear your heart is going to burst --- none of it is natural or easy. At least not for me. Those three things have made me question my very being - who I am, what I am capable of, what I can actually accomplish versus what I think I can. These experiences have pushed me past all that I thought possible - and yet here I am, still going. It's a lot to take in in 4 short weeks. And it's not over yet -- It still hurts to poo, it hurts to pee, it hurts to lie on my side or stand on my feet too long, and I'm sick of wearing sticky pads that rub all funny no matter what position I am in. I'm still way too fluffy to fit into any of my clothes, my boobs and nipples have never been so exposed and at times it makes me feel like I'm not even a person anymore, and I cry when I shower, because that's the best time to do it.

It's completely incredible the things God has women go through for their children. And I know He made it this way because not only does sacrificing make us love deeper and truer, but He knows we can handle it. And I think that's the most feminine part of it all: Us women? We can do hard things.






Something else that's been on my mind is breastfeeding. I have always had a weird..."thing" about my breasts. I don't know why, probably because they are small and I'm self-conscious about that? I don't know....I just am kind of scrunchy-nosed about them (scrunch up your nose....that's how I feel about them) (Sidenote: Collette, in answer to your question about being completely exposed during delivery --- it didn't bother me so much that my hoo-ha was all up in their faces, for some reason. I guess I was just so intent on getting Axton out that modesty flew out the window. However, I was embarrassed about having my boobs exposed - go figure). And so I was worried about how I would feel about breastfeeding. In the three days following Axton's birth, I'm pretty sure I was naked about 99% of the time. There was no point in wearing a shirt I would be taking off in an hour, and no point in wearing pants when I was icing my crotch anyway. This is not very typical of me, and even my mom was pretty surprised to see so much of me (not that she cared, she just knew I'm not usually so..."Free"). Anywho.
But lately, it's gotten to the point where I feel like I am always exposed and it just makes me feel like less of a person (like I said above). Sometimes I can't always clip things back together right away and so I'm just hanging out all over the place and I feel absolutely ridiculous. And it gets so sticky and messy and tricky sometimes and it's frustrating! And sometimes I feel like I'm producing too much and sometimes too little and I just want to point to them and say in a scolding voice, "Regulate yourselves already!!!!"
And it's both sweet and terrifying that I am the only one who can feed Axton. That I am completely in charge of his most basic need for food. Sometimes I am so exhausted I just want to cut my breast off and hand it to Adam and say, "Please don't be jealous that he stops crying when I feed him. It has nothing to do with me. You give it a try and you'll see." and then I'd run away real fast and go take a nap.
But I recently discovered how much it really does mean to me to be able to do this for my son. I was talking to my mom the other day about some symptoms I have and she said I should go to the doctor. The next time I took a shower, I started crying thinking that they would have to give me medicine and I wouldn't be able to breastfeed. I was absolutely SHOCKED at the guilt that poured over me thinking that I might have to give him formula for a week or two. I was so hurt that he was going to have to turn to another source, that my body could have the potential to hurt him. I couldn't believe how attached I had gotten to breastfeeding, and how disappointed I felt in myself at the thought of not being able to do it.




And I really hate that I am a perfectionist and that I am so hard on myself. I've read 4 parenting books in the last 4 weeks, trying to figure out the best way to take care of my baby. It's so difficult to have to decide:

Am I going to hold and cuddle and kiss my son to sleep right now? Or let him sleep next to me in bed all night long so I can hear his sweet breathing? Because I know he will only be this small for such a short time?

.....Or am I going to put him down in the bassinet while he is still awake and let him fall asleep on his own so he can develop "healthy life-long sleep habits"?

It literally tears me up inside sometimes, that seemingly simple question. And it's not just with sleep - it's almost every decision I have to make with him. Am I going to give him a pacifier, feed him an hour early, let him sleep, wake him up, how to make him stop crying?????.......and I am so dang paranoid about doing it "right" and it hurts when I don't know how to stop his tears and I wish it were easier and came more naturally or more instinctual, but it's really just a learn as you go kind of thing.

So you see, it is a complete rollercoaster, this motherhood ride. Inside and out, it is hard stuff. But, in case you couldn't tell through my writing, it's hard because I love him so much. Because I want to do it right and make him happy. And I'm going to wrap up this stream of consciousness with a lovely cliche ---

It's hard -- but oh-so worth it.

(and now I'm going to publish this without even reading over it because otherwise I might not ever share this)






11 comments:

  1. His face. at the bottom. that's all i have to say about that.

    other than you and i both know you're gonna make the right decisions because you're the strongest person i know. and you're smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your honesty. Sometimes I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing or that I'm not cut out for this. The other day I randomly was thinking about nursing our baby after she comes and I had a mini anxiety attack wondering if I would remember how to do it (and I nursed Ronan for a year, lots of practice!). I can tell you're an amazing mother because you care enough to worry. Axton is so blessed to have you guys for parents. And I just love his cheeks, what a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this. Sometimes it's hard for me to put things into words so I can "deal" with them, but you do it so beautifully. It's therapy for me to read your blog :)
    They really are worth it though, aren't they? So, so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish someone would have told me how hard it is in the beginning and how tempting it is to just give them formula because your leaking what seems like an endless river...my baby is only 4 weeks older than Ax so it's all really fresh to me, somethings will get easier...there will be new hard things that come...but you'll keep on going because like you said God made us able to cope with everything I look at it this way...thank goodness I didn't have twins first. Love ya keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meghan, you are doing an amazing job!! The most important thing you are doing is giving all your love to sweet Axton! Just have more faith and confidence in yourself!! You're doing it and doing a darn good job!!!
    Plus breast-feeding takes a lot work and it's requires more patience. And yes I thought the crazy, emotional breakdowns magically went away after pregnancy.! Ha!! They still will creep up on ya. It's normal. It's just because you care Sooo much!!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. tears in my eyes right now. you hit right on the money what motherhood is about- at least the beginning! I'm three weeks behind you, and yes I can agree how magical being a mommy is, but also the HARDEST thing thing I have done. I love this post- you are doing an amazing job! I promise you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You so much described the ups and downs of parenting. It is an amazing, hair-pulling, terrifying, incredible job. And you're doing it. Every day. I think that's what we have to do more than anything--keep showing up and doing it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are doing great! I had the same feelings when we had our little guy. Just know that it is ok to be frustrated and discouraged. I hated being a mom the first three months of it, and now, I can't imagine life without him. Looking back, it was definetely worth the tears, struggle, and fear. Keep up the good work, know you aren't alone, and don't be afraid to ask for help ( a lesson I learned the hard way).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know you, I just stumbled upon your blog through a common friend. I just want to tell you that you're doing an amazing job. Your honest words reminded me of just how hard those first few months were with my own sweet son. It gets easier, I promise. Remember that you know your baby unlike anyone else, and what is right for other babies may not be right yours. You can seek out all the "expert" advice out there, but in the end you'll know what is right for your own family. Your son is so blessed to have such a caring, dedicated mommy. Feel confident, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so i read this right after you posted it and have probably thought about it daily. you talked about many of the things i'm terrified of- your body doing all these new things without your permission. i appreciate your honesty SO MUCH. and while i was watering my day lilies that weren't quite blooming yet, i was thinking about beauty and how weird it was that these lilies, that would bloom and be so pretty, were so ugly and tube shaped in the weeks before blooming. and i thought about your blog post and the opposites you talked about. i'm sure you see where this thought is going. (cheesy metaphors about beauty and contrast making more beauty) also. just wanted you to know that your blog has helped my friend liana who just had her baby so much. we talk about you pretty frequently. you're amazing. and i loved reading your words "my axton..." i'm just so proud and in awe of you!!! hope this made some sense. love you!!! someday when we see each other face to face again i'm going to hug the hells out of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you put motherhood into words perfectly. you really do learn as you go. time goes by so fast too! thank you for sharing your experience with nursing. i can completely relate. it's crazy how you begin to look at your body as an instrument rather than something so private. anyway, hope things are going better for you. your baby is lucky to have you for a mama :)

    ReplyDelete