Friday, March 22, 2013

That time I cut 9 inches off my hair

I've been wanting to cut my hair for awhile now, but I also had the hopes of donating it. This week I was left in a pickle: either cut my hair pretty dang short to get the required 8 inches to donate, keep growing it out and put up with the tangles and mess for a few more months, or just cut it and not donate. 

I went with the first one.




And it's pretty dang short.



I made up my mind quickly and walked into the hair salon only knowing one thing:

"I want to donate my hair," I told the stylist. 
She looked at me and nodded. "Okay."
It was silent for a minute, and I realized that maybe I should have come a little more prepared. I had assumed salons did things like this all the time - shouldn't she know what to do?
"So, um," I stuttered. "Do you have a rubberband or something?"
She shook her head - and then smiled. "No," she said, her mouth open. The smile totally threw me off, because then I didn't know if she was kidding. I'm around a lot of sarcastic people who say yes with a smile when they really mean no so I wasn't sure how to take it. Plus, what salon doesn't have a hairbinder? Come on. 
"Are you serious?" I asked, smiling back. She's gotta be kidding. The irony of a hairsalon not having a hairbinder? Too much. But, I guessed wrong. She wasn't kidding. 
"Yes, I'm serious. You know you have to send your hair in yourself, right? We don't do that for you."
I knew, and was sad I already had a bad start to my haircut. Then she asked me how I wanted it cut and I realized I'd really come into this unprepared.
"Uh.....short. With, like .... layers. I guess." I stuttered.

........

"How about you look at a magazine?" she offered. 
So I randomly flipped through a book and picked a short hairstyle with layers. I didn't really care, I just wanted it off. 

When I came out of the salon and greeted Adam, he smiled big at me and asked, "Do you like it?"
My response?
"I got the Mommy Hair-Cut, didn't I?"


This happened Wednesday night, and I'm just now getting the courage to announce it - it's taken me this long to come to terms with my new short hair. I think I like it. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think, "That's super cute!" and then other times I think, "Gosh, I look like a boy." Or, "Is that a helmet or my hair? Either way, it's ugly." But then again, I guess it doesn't matter what length my hair is - I will always have a roller-coaster relationship with my looks. who doesn't?

I do like that it's not a bird's nest of knots when I wake up in the morning, that Axton can't use it to practice being Tarzan baby anymore, and that it takes me 1.2 minutes to straighten it. Oh, and I like that I was able to donate my hair for the first time (I've wanted to in the past but my hair was always dyed. Remember my high school obsession with bleach?). I won't post a picture of my rat tail because I figure if it grosses me out then there are others that it would probably gross out, as well. 

7 comments:

  1. I like it. I wish I could pull off hair that short. I donated my hair last summer, and my only request was that she keep it long enough to still put in a ponytail. She did, but I wasn't really a fan of the cut for a while. Everyone told me I had a nice mommy haircut...I'm not a mommy, so I wasn't sure what to make of it. Haha. I like yours, though. Isn't it great how cutting your hair chops your shower time in half? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan! I love your hair! short is so hard to get use to when you've had long hair. Where did you donate to for only 8 inches? Here I've been giving to locks of love, who requires 10! and 2 inches of hair takes a long time to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! It looks so good :) I did the "mommy hair cut" too and I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you Meghan! Doesn't it feel good to donate your hair? I'm getting ready to chop mine off next weekend for the 3rd time to donate and getting a little nervous about it myself : ) Oh and for the record, I think you look awesome with that short hair! You pull it off really well and I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look good Meghan! I like it! I know that after I chopped my hair off this summer most of the time I was sad I did it, but its just hair right? Plus, you donated it!! You will never regret that! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meghan, I think you are beautiful. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete